Figuring the cause of a stopped up kitchen sink is one of the most grueling plumbing problems of all if one is unsure of what he is doing. If the drainage sink is clogged then the work in the kitchen will come to a standstill. Washing utensils or any kind of water work will be a pain in the neck. Before you contact a licensed plumber in West Palm Beach for your plumbing problem, look for DIY tools that you can use first. This dilemma can be reduced and you might be able to clear your pipe by using a plumbing snake!
How does a plumbing snake work?
The plumber’s snake is a life saver at times of a clogged drain. It is a flexible auger which is used to remove clogs in pipes that cannot be removed with any other plumbing instruments. Most plumbing snakes contain a coiled metal wire with space between the coils at the end of it and the other end is attached to a device with a crank that rotates the wire as and when it moves down in the pipe of the drain.
The wire with the auger end digs into the clog just like a corkscrew in a cork of a champagne bottle. This allows the recovery of the thing stuck in the drain; which is clogging it and is pulled out when the plumbing snake is removed. There might be chances that the end of the plumbing snake will break the object stuck in the clogged area, thus freeing up the drain from the choke. However, before you use it for the first time, it is very important to know how to use a plumbing snake.
How to use a plumbing snake all by yourself
Here is a six step guide on how to use a plumbing snake. Let us look at it quickly.
- First, you need to collect all the things required when using a plumbing snake so that you don’t have to run for it at the last minute. You need towels, a bucket, and gloves so that you can get a good grip of the plumbing snake in case if it gets dirty and slippery. Towels will come handy in case the water spills on the floor then you can clean it easily.
- Next, you need to access the drain and remove the cover.
- Then, put the plumbing snake into the drain until you get to the clogged area and keep on turning it in a clockwise direction. You need to be careful not to damage the sink or the pipe.
- You need to keep repositioning the grip a couple of inches from the entry way to the pipe as you feed the plumbing snake into the clogged drain.
- Once you have reached the clog, rotate the snake until you feel that the clogged item is in your hold. After doing this, pull the snake out or push it in until the clog gets cleared.
- Then, keep the hot water running in the drain for some time to clear the drain completely.
The next time you face such a situation, this guide will be helpful to you. If your problems worsen, hire a professional Palm Beach County FL plumbing expert before the problem gets worse! Call (561) 475-1164 for a quote.